Please read through all guidelines and rules before applying for SLC VegFest 2023, as they are updated annually.
Guidelines and Rules for all Vendors/Exhibitors
There are four categories of vendors and exhibitors at SLC VegFest: non-profit exhibitors, commercial exhibitors, prepared food vendors, and restaurant vendors. All SLC VegFest vendors and exhibitors are required to review and sign an exhibitor contract as a pre-condition of participating in SLC VegFest. Many of the contractual requirements, especially those for food vendors, simply reflect local fire, safety, and health regulations, as well as the requirements placed on the festival organizers by the city. Below are most of the stipulations contained in this contract.
- All items sold, sampled, and otherwise distributed at SLC VegFest must be vegan (no meat, eggs, dairy, fish, honey, whey, isinglass, wool, leather, shells, or any other animal-derived products).
- All products must be cruelty-free (not tested on animals).
- Literature or other promotional materials at the event may not include recipes, suggestions, or references to using animal-derived ingredients and/or products. In addition, promotion of events or services that include the abuse or exploitation of animals (circuses, rodeos, zoos, etc.) is also prohibited.
- SLC VegFest reserves the right to exclude any items that are inappropriate. If you have inappropriate products at your booth, SLC VegFest volunteers will ask you remove them immediately.
- If you have any questions about any of the above “vegan” requirements, please get in touch with the SLC VegFest organizers.
- SLC VegFest is an event for everyone in our community. Any leaflets, signage, materials, or conduct that the organizers deem to be racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise unwelcoming is subject to penalty, up to booth closure or refused entrance in future SLC VegFests.
- Music, recordings, or other audio must not interfere with neighboring booths.
- Exhibitors are responsible for setting up their booths and may not drive on library pavers.
- Exhibitors selling products must complete a Temporary Sales Tax License and Special Return from the Utah State Tax Commission. Paperwork will be provided the morning of the event.
- Exhibitors are not allowed to sell or distribute alcoholic beverages.
- All exhibitors agree to give permission for UARC and SLC VegFest volunteers to take and publish photos and videos during the event of staff, volunteers, and displays.
- SLC VegFest will happen rain or shine! Should extreme weather or any other unpredictable event outside of the organizer’s control prevent the holding of the festival, SLC VegFest is in no way liable to exhibitors.
- All booth payments to UARC are due by August 15, 2023 (June 30th for early bird discount) and are non-refundable (except deposit fee if all conditions are met).
- Exhibitors are not permitted to sell bottled water. Free water stations will be available throughout the event.
- In order to make the event as green as possible, we strongly encourage the use of compostable and recyclable materials wherever possible.
- Exhibitors must be completely set up by 11:30am.
- Every exhibitor is provided a 10ft x 10ft area, one table, and two chairs. Additional tables available with a $25 fee.
- Booths must stay up and staffed for the entirety of the event.
- Exhibitors are responsible for setting up and breaking down their exhibits.
- As most booth space will be on cement, exhibitors bringing their own tent/canopy are required to secure it with proper weights (water weights, cement blocks, etc.) for the safety of all attendees. No staking allowed. Limited canopies with weights are available with a $150 fee.
- Table sharing with other businesses is not allowed.
- SLC VegFest will assign location space at our own discretion.
- Exhibitors must have easily visible signage that identifies the organization/business for their booth.
- Exhibitors are responsible for their property and equipment. Neither UARC, Library Square, or any other organizing party is responsible for any loss, theft, or damage to exhibitor property on the grounds at any time.
- Exhibitors can start breaking down at 8:00pm.
Rates and Information
*** UARC Member Benefits Partners receive a 10% discount off any exhibitor or sponsor fee***
- In addition to booth space, SLC VegFest sponsors receive perks including ad space in UARC’s Utah Vegan Guide and logos on the website. See how your business can benefit by becoming a sponsor.
Deposit and Fees
- Nonprofit vendor rate: $200 ($100 early bird registration through June 30th).
- All other vendor rate: $400 ($300 early bird registration through June 30th).
- All exhibitors are required to pay a refundable deposit in addition to booth fee to secure their place at the event. In-state vendors deposit fee is $100, out-of-state vendors is $150. Payment is due by August 15, 2023, and will be refunded the week after the event, as long as the following conditions were all satisfied:
- Booth must be set up and ready by 11:30am on September 9th. If you are using a canopy, each leg must be weighed down.
- Booth must stay up until closing time at 8:00pm on September 9th. Should you run out of product, we still expect you to stay at your booth and talk about your business with any festival attendees.
- Your exhibit space was left in the same condition as when you arrived and all waste is put in the appropriate bins. Restaurants using oil should protect the ground with cardboard or other barriers so you do not stain the surface.
- Booth must not sell or distribute anything that does not comply with the vegan requirements (see above).
- You must supply a Certificate of Insurance on or before August 15th, 2023.
Non-profit Exhibitors $200 ($100 early bird registration through June 30th)
- Non-profit exhibitors are welcome to sell (non-food) products and merchandise.
- Preference will be given to non-profits that directly relate to helping animals.
Commercial Exhibitors $400 ($300 early bird registration through June 30th)
- Commercial exhibitors include any exhibitor looking to sell non-food products or services.
- Encouraged to provide product samples if appropriate.
- Preference will be given to commercial exhibitors selling products that are an alternative to animal products (cruelty-free cosmetics, vegan clothing, etc.)
Prepared Food Vendors $400 ($300 early bird registration through June 30th)
- If you are providing pre-packaged food that was prepared in a commercial kitchen in advance of the event, you are considered a prepared food vendor.
- Bakery vendors can be considered prepared food vendors if they store whole pastries in a display case and put them into to-go containers on site, so long as proper means of sanitation are used (ex. thongs to avoid touching pastries).
- Food vendors are encouraged to bring free samples. We anticipate more than 5,000 attendees, so we encourage vendors to plan accordingly.
Restaurant Vendors $400 ($300 early bird registration through June 30th)
- If you will be preparing food on-site, you are considered a restaurant vendor.
- Each restaurant vendor is responsible for acquiring and posting a Temporary Food Permit.
- Permit must be obtained from the Salt Lake County Health Department Food Protection Bureau at least 2 weeks prior to the event.
- Food carts/trucks with permanent permits are not required to have the permit, but must operate within the requirements of their permanent permit.
- At least one person with a current Food Handler Card must be present in the booth at all times.
- As per the Temporary food permit, Food Vendors must have the following minimum structural requirements:
- A roof, awning, or other covering, impermeable to weather, over the entire food preparation service, clean-up and storage area;
- Two side walls (not screening) which will reduce the entry of dust and dirt, and exclude non-authorized persons;
- The front service wall shall be a counter, half-wall, or table draped to the floor. The back wall may be open for employee access, or solid if desired;
- All cooking equipment utilized at the food booths shall be at least 4 feet from the public; and
- All open flame cooking devices shall meet the requirements of the local fire code. Contact Salt Lake City Fire Department for details.
- Restaurant Vendors are responsible for their own proper refrigeration.
- Although no permit is required through the fire department, please see their general requirements for cooking tents.
- All Restaurant Vendors will be supplied with a hand wash station. All waste water must be disposed of properly in the waste tank.
- Violation of rules set by the Temporary Food Permit will result in immediate closure of booth without refund.
- There is a $100 fee for electricity. This is an effort to keep costs down for vendors not needing power. Exact electricity needs must be coordinated with the event organizers before the event.
- To participate in SLC VegFest 2023, all vendors will be required to carry Comprehensive General Liability Insurance with a minimum of $1,000,000 per occurrence, presented on a “Certificate of Liability Insurance,” which includes Utah Animal Rights Coalition (UARC) and Salt Lake City Corporation named as Additional Insureds, for the date of the event, September 9, 2023. Please see an example here from last year for exact listing details.
Vendors have two options to satisfy this requirement:
1) Most vendors with existing commercial operations will already have general commercial liability insurance. In many cases, you should be able to call your insurance agent and ask them to issue a certificate for SLC VegFest under your existing policy, for little to no charge.
2) If you do not have existing insurance, you can obtain a special one-day event policy from many insurance brokers. Many insurance providers offer these policies for approximately $50. SLC VegFest organizers can help facilitate this process for you if needed.
Vendors MUST furnish their Certificate of Insurance on or before August 15, 2023. If you fail to provide this certificate on or before this date, you will not be allowed to participate in SLC VegFest 2023 and your vendor fee will not be refunded. The SLC VegFest Planning Committee is available to help if you have questions or concerns.